Support Robust mental health programming -
- 1 in 5 children has a significantly impairing mental disorder; yet less than half get the treatment they need (Nationwide Children's Hospital).
- I applaud the district for hiring additional mental health professionals.
- Thrilled to hear about the Take Five to Save lives initiative at the high school.
- There is a lot more work we can support such as mental health first aid (which is identifying the signs of distress), education on building resilience and the importance of self-care as well as peer and group support.
- Schools offer a unique opportunity for early identification, prevention and interventions.
- My daughter was diagnosed with anxiety as a sophomore - I have seen firsthand the benefits of exceptional behavioral health.
- Through my work at OhioHealth, I understand the importance and have the experience supporting our mental health experts.
Improve communication and engagement with district
- In my canvassing and meeting the community the majority of comments were
- That school families felt communication came to them through multiple places and was a lot to sort through and felt overwhelmed at times or couldn’t find easily what they were looking for.
- The (rest of the) community felt there wasn't enough – they don’t have the same access or visibility.
- I would like to support our current communications team to form a strategic plan with actions steps to further dialogue and meet people where they are with the communication they need – using focus groups and surveys to gain insights.
Use our expansions and new buildings to bring more career and trade programming into our schools
- My son was in pre-nursing at Eastland Fairfield Career Center and I saw how this provided opportunities to explore and discover passions for life after high school.
- We can bring more of those programs into our own buildings with partnerships in the community, trade apprenticeships and with EFCTS. Many students don’t want to travel to Eastland Fairfield and leave their home school during the day,
- It is not just bricks and mortar but how we use the spaces we have.